SSWH1 The student will analyze the origins, structures, and interactions of complex societies in the ancient Eastern Mediterranean from 3500 BCE to 500 BCE.
a. Describe the development of Mesopotamian societies; include the religious, cultural, economic, and political facets of society, with attention to Hammurabi’s law code.
5) JOURNAL ENTRY, “Hammurabi’s Code”
Information on page 33
Essential Question – What was Hammurabi’s Code and why was it important at the time?
- On the Right Side - create a “BUBBLE MAP” graphic organizer explaining: who Hammurabi was, what the code was, why his code was important, and what social issues it addressed.
- On the Left Side – write ½ pg. response to the following statement. Investigate what areas did Hammurabi’s code cover, and why do you think so much of it dealt with contracts?
Example of a Bubble Map.
Alternate Internet Activity
- On the Right Side - using the link create a “BUBBLE MAP” graphic organizer explaining what the code was and why his code was important, and what social issues it addressed.
- On the Left Side - In paragraph form write 1/2 page about the need for the "Code" as the empire expanded.
Enrichment Activity (2 class periods)
Writing Activity - Hammurabi DBQ Persuasive Essay Activity
How to structure your paper
How your paper will be graded